October 27, 2005

How can I leave??

So before I left town I got a chance to see Brian’s new movie called “Dead Inside”. Holy crap it gave me nightmares.


I then took Mr.Fergus to the beach for one last long walk before I leave town.


Willows Beach in Oak Bay is one of my favorite dog walking beaches. It’s about 45 minutes from one end to the other and by the time we get back to the car, Fergus is pooped and my head is clear and I feel fantastic.


Then I got ready to leave. Good lord... how can I leave my family again? This time I’m gone for 18 days. I think that’s the longest I’ve ever been gone. Fergus will be at the In-laws while Gerry is with me in NYC. I hope little Fergus doesn’t miss me too much. Poor baby.


As I stood at the bus depot
and said my good-byes... I decided that when I get back into town I’m going to do a “this is my Victoria” update for you all.

Victoria is such a neat city... and you can do city stuff or you can drive for 10 minutes and end up at the forest or the lake.

So when I get back I’m gonna do that. But let’s start with the ferry, shall we.

Victoria is on Vancouver Island and you gotta either fly, swim or take a ferry to get to the mainland. Being a local, I am soooo bored of taking the ferry, but I realized that when I first moved here it was quite a lot of fun and really beautiful. The ferry food sucked and the ferry itself wasn’t that great... but the view is always spectacular. You drive slowly by a bunch of the islands before you hit Vancouver island.

You can walk onto the ferry or ride your bike or take a bus. Driving is the most expensive way to cross over... but having a car is always handy. So first you have to wait in line to get on the ferry.
Sometimes the ferry is full, so you have to wait for the next sailing. In the summer, it’s fine. They run every hour. But in the winter it sucks... cause they are every other hour... so it can be a drag waiting with nothing to do, so always pack a deck of cards.


The ferry used to be pretty sparce, with a small store that sold candy and magazines. Now the ferry is tip-top (**It should be... it costs enough to get on**) and they have a large book/magazine shop that carries all sorts of reading materials and trinkets to buy and most importantly they carry HIAV and GOV. Haven’t seen LDV yet... but I’m sure they’ll carry it soon.

They also now have large TV’s for watching. The kids area is the best because they show kids movies and have sound. If you can deal with rug-rats, it beats watching the news channel in the other tv areas. The mute button is on and you have to read along.... who likes to read when the watch tv? Not me.

The ferry has a large cafeteria that has changed quite a bit over the years... thank god. There used to be hardly anything for Vegans except for fries, salad and juice.

But now they carry lovely salads and veggie chili, veggie burgers and soy milk.

I was really impressed with my salad. Cranberries! YUM!

And lastly... the view.
You can sit inside or sit on the deck and watch beautiful BC pass you by. It was really foggy the day I took the ferry... so this photo isn’t great.... but you get the idea. Trees. Ocean. Etc. Nature... it’s good.
So as I sit on the ferry eating my delish salad I am on my way to the Fanny Kifer show. I hope it goes well... I haven’t done TV in a while and I get a little nervous sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You are very cool. I really enjoy reading your blog. I love your rockabilly style! I hope some day you can afford to come to some of the small American towns.. Like the one I am in .. Boise, Idaho. Eh eh... Anyway enjoy your trip I am going to read your next blog...


Melissa DeBusk

Sarah Kramer said...

Thanks Melissa
If you want to be on the mailing list and be kept up to date with all the latest hub-bub send me and e-mail: mailinglist@govegan.net

Anonymous said...

now on one ferry they even have a special little room for foot passengers with dogs so you don't have to sit on the car deck with the smelly fumes and freezing cold wind. yay!
-maggie (dog of spacedog)