March 29, 2007

I heart swimming...

Since I managed to chase my cold away with giant amounts of Vit C, giant amounts of sleeping and miso soup... I decided to work out today, but rather then kill myself on the elliptical I decided to go swimming. Since we got our gym memberships I've only been swimming twice (our gym membership is at a local hotel) so it's usually packed with kids playing. Today the pool was empty and I was stoked.

I tried to swim like I used to when I was a kid. I'd put on my goggles, swim along the bottom of the pool and pretend I was a mermaid.

Well holy Jesus... it's so hard to do now that I'm a grown-ass woman. Gerry says it's because I'm more "buoyant" ... I'm like... are you saying I'm fat? *laugh*

Last time my niece was in town I also learned that I can't do summersalts anymore. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

somersaults are scary!

Anonymous said...

LOL. I SO understand!

The Mad Tatter said...

Try doing somersaults in the pool. I can't do somersaults on land, but I'm the Somersault Queen in the pool. (Careful though--if you do too many, you'll get dizzy! :D )

Anonymous said...

Ha...swimming...
A number of years ago I went to the pool reallllly early...like just after 6 am, because I knew it would be empty and wanted to do laps. I hadn't done them for years, but hey...like riding a bike, right?
Noooooooo..
I jumped in, started to do the breast stroke like the professional swimmer that I apparently think I am...and I just about drowned myself inhaling water....
So there I was, alone in the pool...coughing and sputtering...and it's like, echoing through the complex... I was so embarassed. Took me about 4 visits before I had my rhythms back.
Enjoy it...it's fun and it's so good for toning!

Unknown said...

When I was younger, I used to be able to do 7 somersaults in a row. Now I can only do 4. 3 backwards. The decline has begun..

KleoPatra said...

I love swimming! I can do a somersault - in the pool! It's funny you posted about this 'cause i was just having a contest with my pal Peter and seeing who could still do "regular" somersaults on the grass at this park near where i live... he could do 'em front AND back. NO FAIR! I managed an almost-frontwards... Oy. Time... age... grrrrrrrrrr! Oh for the day i was more limber! Fun post, Sarah, got me thinkin'...

Anonymous said...

oh my god - try doing a CARTWHEEL!