January 31, 2008

Dentist...

So the dentist went pretty well... Thank you ALL for your tips on dealing with Dentist Stress. I did a little spritz of Rescue Remedy when I got to the office and I have to say that Karene's trick of imagining slowly peeling a banana helped the most to keep my mind off of things.

I told the Dentist that my heart races when I get freezing so she froze me without Epinephrine and that helped me keep my stress level down. The freezing doesn't hold as long as with the Epi but I just told her when I could start to feel things and she'd freeze me again. I don't mind the dentist needles. I actually kind of like them. *laugh*

The weirdest part of the day was when I sat up after it was all over. All the freezing kind of rushed to my tongue (which wasn't frozen during the proceedure) and it became REALLY frozen. I started drooling a little. *laugh* I came home and immediately lay on some ice packs. I'm a little sore and really tired ... but so far I'm doing ok.

I think the hardest part about today was not swallowing when they were putting in the filling. Being told NOT to do something makes me hyper aware that I'm trying NOT to do it and I actually started to panic a little and felt like I was drowning. Thank goodness for the suction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it went well. I'll probably refer to the tips you got when I get up the nerve to go for my next checkup, it's been just over a year since my last one. I'm extremely phobic about dentists!!!

Mary said...

I know first hand how stressful a visit to the dentist can be. But I find a trip to the gynecologist to be even WORSE! I dread it every year. I know it's a necessary evil, but there's got to be a better way.......

Mary