July 17, 2006

day one... longest day ever....

Had the worst nights sleep the night before Wendy was to pick me up to go to the airport. I can never sleep well when I know I have to get up at a certain time the next day, plus the chorus from that blasted Morningwood song Nth Degree kept playing over and over again in my head.

So at 5:45 am Wendy and her man Rob came to pick me up to drive out to the airport.
Suzi was a little stressed about Wendy leaving... but I'm sure she was fine as soon as we were out of sight. Fergus you ask?? Didn't even get out from under the covers when I left in the morning... *laugh*The airport was boring... but I did a little exploring and found these weird metronaps beds that you can sleep in. I would have loved to have sat in one but the kiosk was closed. Thank goodness they were closed cause otherwise I would have missed seeing THE FONZ! That's right. Henry Winkler was waiting to catch the same plane as us. Wendy and I mulled over whether or not we should bother him. We're so Canadian... but someone else went up for a photo so I ran over with my camera and asked if we could be next.What a classy man he is. He loved my tattoos and gave us hugs and a kiss on the cheek when we introduced ourselves. He very graciously took a photo with us (even though it was the crack of dawn). What a doll... You know Fonzie was probably my first crush when I was a kid. I think I still kinda have a thing for him. *laugh*

We asked him what the etiquette was when you're in LA and you see someone famous that you want to meet. He said that if you see an artist who's work has touched you or that you've enjoyed and you want to express that to that person... to go for it. He said if they don't want to hear that from you or meet you that they should be shot. *laugh* Fonzie is hardcore!! He was a real sweetie and when we walked by him in the plane to get our sets he wished us a good flight. We also ended up standing next to him at the baggage claim and he asked us how our flight was and we talked about how we took a nap. I was smitten for the rest of the day... :)

So we drove into LA (everything is bigger in LA, even the donuts).And rather then check into our hotel right away we hit Real Food Daily for some lunch. Wendy had a Tempeh wrap thingy that was very good. I had some sushi rolls which were also yum.At RFD we also saw some more famous peeps eating lunch. We saw Natasha Gregson Wagner (the daughter of Natalie Wood). We saw Bobby Trendy and then Steve Jones from The Sex Pistols walked in the door. I almost died on the spot. I didn't know what to do and I ended up not doing anything. He was eating and I didn't want to bug him but now I wish I had. I wish I had walked up to him and said "Your band changed my life. Thank you." I need to stop being such a polite Canadian. Eh?

So we got to our hotel (The Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel) and checked in. On the way to our room the front desk lady stopped us in the hall and got us a key to a different room because our room was still occupied. So we went to the room and it was nice but it was ground floor and opened up to the pool.It was a nice room but 2 girls alone in LA should not be sleeping in a ground floor room. Ya dig? So they gave us another room but it looked out onto the back alley. YUCK! So we asked for another room and they very kindly gave us a kick ass room on the 3rd floor that looked over the courtyard pool. SWEET!We lay around for a bit and then we hit the streets and headed to California Vegan for some food. Wendy and I couldn't figure out what to eat so we just ordered some appys.Spring rolls.Potato Salad (which was amazing)
And "chicken" fingers.After food what are 2 Canadian girls gonna do next? We went to go buy more food. *laugh* We hit Whole Foods to get some breakfast and munchie supplies. So... I'm walking down the aisle doing some shoppping and this woman comes right up to me and says quite loudly "I LOVE YOU!"

YAY! My first fan encounter in the big city of LA.
Ana was very cool and we chatted about the books and about how short I am. *laugh* She was a real sweetie.Later in the evening Wendy and I took a long drive up Mullholland and then drove around West Hollywood looking at stuff. We drove by The Ivy where all the starlets and stalkerazzi hang out. Man.. is it ever small, it looks much bigger in photos.

That is the theme for this trip by the way!!
Hollywood is all smoke and mirrors... everything and everyone is a lot smaller then they look on tv/photos/movies.

Later in the evening my friends Todd and Christina came over to the hotel for a visit (I haven't seen Todd in over 5 years. Maybe even 8?) It was great to have a visit with them. After they left I crawled into bed and I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Good Night Fonzie.

6 comments:

Kramers said...

Sounds EXCELLENT!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a great trip! I'm living vicariously through you.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, how fabulous! I would probably do what Ana did if i saw you in a store shopping! :o)

Very great to read about your trip, Sarah. Real Food Daily is a wonderful restaurant. I wish they'd (and Native Foods as well would) open an eatery here in San Diego... c'est la vie.

Sorry ya didn't sleep well at first before you took off, but with the pool view at the hotel, bet things got better quick.

Great pic of Fergus, btw. He's so EMOTIVE!!

Fonzie... that Henry Winkler... such a nice Jewish boy!

*sigh* I was crushed out on him back in the day as well! Who wasn't?!

kinziephoto said...

WOW! what fun! :)

jromer said...

It was so great to meet you! Thanks for the picture, thanks for visiting my blog. And always, thanks for the recipes!
Someday I'll get that tatoo I've always wanted. Think I know where to go now! Take care! Much love, Anna

Autumn said...

lucky girl. everytime i stop by you're travelling somewhere. no fair. where do i sign up? :)

p.s. i always thought my dad kinda looked like the fonz.